Texture Painting an Ax
Rules of the Exercise
1Texture must be painted from scratch
2No visible seams or stretching
3Model + Texture is uploaded to Sketchfab
4Texture resolution is 512x512
Let's apply your new texturing skills
This exercise is designed to be a sandbox for texture painting. In the Fundamentals of Texturing course, you learned the essential skills needed for unwrapping a model's UV's and painting a texture for it. Now for this exercise, the challenge is to apply that knowledge to paint a stylized ax! Don't rely on image textures for this one. Your submission should be painted by hand. If you need to brush up on your digital painting skills before getting started, review the Concept Art Fundamentals learning flow.
- Download the ax-model.zip file from the Downloads tab. Unzip and open the included .blend file with Blender.
- UV-unwrap the model to prepare it for texture painting.
- Paint the ax texture appropriately to reflect its ax-y nature. Use an image size of 512x512 since this is a game asset. You don't have to match the example exactly. We encourage you to paint your own unique texture as you see fit!
- When finished, save a version of your .blend file after packing your texture into the file, then upload your packed .blend to Sketchfab.
- If the texture isn't showing up for any reason, you can add it to the model manually.
- Finally, submit your exercise by clicking the Submit Exercise button in the top-right corner of this page and pasting your Sketchfab URL.
Try to make this ax have its own unique style, without changing the model. Take your time and show us your best! Start simple by blocking out the basic colors first, and then work from the larger forms to the smaller details.